Online Food Delivery Market in India (2018-2023)
Table of Content
Speak to Analyst
Enquire before purchase
The meaning of food tech has evolved over the years. Earlier, it only referred to the technology used for food processing. Now, it pertains to online food ordering and delivery services. Adequate investments in this market space have enabled companies to provide online food delivery services that were previously non-existent. The online food delivery industry of India, which is the part of the e-services market, has two different delivery service solutions meant for prepared meals – restaurant-to-customer delivery system, and platform-to-customer delivery system. The service providers operate in any of the following four models: milk run model, hub and spoke model, point to point delivery model, and decentralized delivery network.
The online food delivery market in India was valued at INR 45.58 Bn in 2017 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of ~38.08% from 2018 to 2023. Metropolitan cities like Bengaluru, Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata, Chennai, and Hyderabad accounted for ~87% of the overall online food delivery market in India in 2017. Among the major players, Bengaluru-based online food delivery player, Swiggy is currently the market leader constituting of ~36.5% of the market, followed by Zomato. The percentage of daily orders fulfilled by the self-owned delivery fleet of companies has increased from ~46% to ~56% and the average delivery time of the overall market improved from 47 minutes to 42 minutes during the period Q4 of 2016 to Q4 of 2017.
State-wise segment insights:
Based on the volume of food ordered online in 2017, Bangalore accounts for a ~31% share in the entire market. It is followed by Delhi NCR (~19%), Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Pune.
Daily order volume insights:
Considering the business of online food aggregators, as of March 2018, Swiggy has handled ~200,000 orders, and Zomato has handled ~180,000 orders. Foodpanda and UberEats are the other two competitors with order handling volume of ~30,000 and ~15,000 respectively.
Key growth drivers of the market:
- Amongst the ~1.35 Bn population in India, 50% fall under the age of 25 years while half of the rest falls under the age of 35 years, thus representing one of the youngest populations of the world. Since the majority of demand comes from the age group between 18 and 40, India has emerged as a market with a high opportunity for growth.
- India's per capita income has shown a growth of ~8.6% for the fiscal year ending in March 2018. As a result, Indians are gaining a high purchasing power which in turn is paving the way for the growth of online food delivery market in the country.
Key deterrents to the growth of the market:
- The continuous entrance of new players in the online food delivery market is leading to the fragmentation of the customer base. As a result, the volume of sales of the entire market is getting distributed among a number of players, thus reducing the revenue share of a particular online food delivery service provider.
- Many e-commerce firms are showing a tendency of entering into the online food delivery market because of its excellent business opportunity. Therefore the entrance of the big restaurant and fast food chains and e-commerce companies to the online food delivery market is making the competition for the smaller firms and start-ups steeper.
- Bundl Technologies Pvt. Ltd. (Swiggy)
- Faasos Food Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Holachef Hospitality Pvt. Ltd.
- Zomato Media Pvt. Ltd.
- Foodpanda India
- Uber Technologies, Inc. (UberEats)
With the given market data, Research on Global Markets offers customizations according to specific needs. Write to us at email@example.com, or connect with us here.
Estimated Delivery Time: 2
Chapter 1: Executive summary
Chapter 2: Socio-economic indicators
Chapter 3: Introduction
3.1. Online food delivery market definition and structure
3.2. Online food delivery market logistics process and system structure
3.3. Online food delivery business models - overview
3.4.1. Traditional delivery models
- o Milk run model
- o Hub and Spoke model
3.4.2. Modern delivery models
- o Point to point delivery model
- o Decentralized delivery network
Chapter 4: Global online food delivery market
4.1. Market overview
4.2. Share of food delivery market – online vs offline (2016-2017)
4.3. Country-wise penetration of online food delivery (2016)
- o United Kingdom
- o United States of America
- o China
- o India
Chapter 5: India online food delivery market
5.1. Market overview
5.2. Online food delivery market size and growth forecast - value-wise (2018-2023e)
5.3. Key market features and trends
Chapter 6: India online food delivery market segmentation
6.1. Business model-wise (2017)
- o Aggregator
- o Internet kitchen
6.2. Top five Indian states as per online food ordering volume (2017)
- o Bangalore
- o Delhi NCR
- o Mumbai
- o Hyderabad
- o Pune
6.3. Daily order volumes of online food aggregators (as of March 2018)
- o Zomato
- o Swiggy
- o Foodpanda
- o UberEats
6.4. Trends in online food delivery across major five cities (2017)
- o Bangalore
- o Delhi NCR
- o Mumbai
- o Hyderabad
- o Pune
Chapter 7: Key growth drivers of the market
Chapter 8: Key deterrents to growth in the market
Chapter 9: Competitive landscape
9.1. Porter’s five forces analysis
9.2. Bundl Technologies Pvt. Ltd. (Swiggy)
9.2.1. Corporate information
9.2.2. Business description
9.2.3. Products and services
9.2.4. Key people
9.2.5. Financial snapshot (total income, net profit/loss)
9.2.6. Key ratios
9.2.7. Business segments, geographical segments
9.3. Faasos Food Services Pvt. Ltd.
9.3.1 Corporate information
9.3.2 Business description
9.3.3 Products and services
9.3.4 Key people
9.3.5 Financial snapshot (total income, net profit/loss)
9.3.6 Key ratios
9.3.7 Business segments, geographical segments
9.4. Holachef Hospitality Pvt. Ltd.
9.4.1 Corporate information
9.4.2 Business description
9.4.3 Products and services
9.4.4 Key people
9.4.5 Financial snapshot (total income, net profit/loss)
9.4.6 Key ratios
9.4.7 Business segments, geographical segments
9.5. Zomato Media Pvt. Ltd.
9.5.1 Corporate information
9.5.2 Business description
9.5.3 Products and services
9.5.4 Key people
9.5.5 Financial snapshot (total income, net profit/loss)
9.5.6 Key ratios
9.5.7 Business segments, geographical segments
9.6. Foodpanda India
9.6.1 Corporate information
9.6.2 Business description
9.6.3 Products and services
9.6.4 Key people
9.6.5 Financial snapshot (total income, net profit/loss)
9.6.6 Key ratios
9.6.7 Business segments, geographical segments
9.7. Uber Technologies, Inc. (UberEats)
9.7.1 Corporate information
9.7.2 Business description
9.7.3 Products and services
9.7.4 Key people
9.7.5 Financial snapshot (total income, net profit/loss)
9.7.6 Key ratios
9.7.7 Business segments, geographical segments
Chapter 10: Recent developments
1. Research methodology
2. About Research on Global Markets